PRIVATE MEDICAL INSURANCE
- “Indemnity” policies are designed to meet the costs of having private medical treatment for an acute illness or injury on a short-term basis. This could include a private room in a hospital, surgeons’ and other specialists’ fees, outpatient treatment like physiotherapy and daycare treatment including surgical and diagnostic procedures
- “Cash plan” policies provide a lump-sum benefit payment in certain situations. Generally, the consumer will pay a monthly premium in return for cover, for up to 100% of costs for treatment like an inpatient stay in an NHS hospital, or dental or optical treatment. These may not be included under an “indemnity” policy.
Both “indemnity” and “cash-plan” policies can have additional benefits. For example:
- cover for partners and/or children
- one-to-one telephone support for cancer and heart patients
- customer health checks and helplines
- access to complementary therapies and psychiatric treatment
- dental and optical treatment
- treatment at home for intravenous therapies like chemotherapy
The above benefits are available across a number of different policies and all cover is subject to underwriting and individual circumstances.